Saturday, June 28, 2014

Just a Couple of Recipes

Today is one of those relaxed days when we really have a lot on our plates but totally are relaxed about actually getting it done. I am messing around in the kitchen...making yummy treats, healthy fudge--sicles, mayonaise and working on our sourdough starter. Have I ever told you how much I love good food? And when I say good food I don't just mean delicious tasting sort of foods. I love good for you food that is delicious. Now I have to be honest. There was a time when I disliked healthy food...extremely disliked healthy food. I mean, what kid enjoys heavy whole wheat food that tastes a bit blah after always eating sugary and white floured food. I know. I know. Here comes a little nutritional rant. However, in the past 3 years, I would say Mama and I have found some pretty good ways -through various researching, passing around of good recipes, and coming up with methods to turn normally unhealthy dishes into at least somewhat nutritious meals. Therefore, I decided to share a couple of the recipes which we are using today to make treats and add-on's for this week.

First of all Coconut Macaroons are a recipe which one of our family friends passed on to Mama and I. These are great dehydrated or frozen in the freezer. 

Grease a cookie sheet and set aside. 

Mix 2 Cups of Organic Shredded Coconut and 1 Cup Organic Cocoa Powder, as well as 1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt (you can use regular). 

In a saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. Raw Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Turn off and add 3/4 Cup Agave Nectar and 1 Tbsp. Vanilla to the Coconut Oil. Mix together.

Now add the two sets of dry and wet ingredients together...mix VERY thoroughly. 

The easiest way to make individual macaroons is to dip a spoon in cold water. Scoop up about a tablespoon of the mixture. Put on the cookie sheet. It might be a good idea to try to shape them up with your fingers after they are on the tray. Freeze or dehydrate until they reach the preferred consistency.  

These are great side treats and quiet yummy! 

The next recipe is just a standard Vitamix-recipe which is super easy. If you love mayonaise, and possibly if you do not like mayonaise at all, this recipe is delicious, easy and works well for a substitute to real mayonaise. 

Mayonaise 

In a blender put 3/4 Cup Egg Substitute or 3 Pasteurized Eggs (our family uses raw eggs. But there is a certain risk to this so do not use eggs if you are not confident that there is no risk of contracting Salmonella. Also, our eggs are from our own chickens so we know that they are fairly safe...) Add 1 1/4 tsp. of dry mustard. 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice. Turn on the machine to a medium to high-speed and slowly add 1 3/4 Cup Grape Seed Oil. 

When the desired consistency is reached and the mayonaise is completely emulsified, put in a contained and refrigerate. This mayonaise does not last as long as normal mayonaise will but it should last at least 2 weeks. 

So there you have it! Here are a couple of decent and somewhat healthier alternatives to food. I hope to catch up with a few other recipes when I get a chance. For now, I need to make mayonaise and hopefully work in our garden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment